Charles County Government and Bel Alton High School Alumni Reach School Use Agreement
Recently, the Charles County Board of Commissioners and the Bel Alton High School Alumni Community Development Corporation (CDC) reached a mutual agreement on the use of Bel Alton High School. Charles County Government will manage and maintain the building. The county has set aside space for the Bel Alton High School Alumni Community Development Corporation (CDC) to continue their outreach to Charles County residents.
Bel Alton High School was one of two pre-World War II Charles County high schools for African Americans. The building was a seven-room school, constructed circa 1937. Bel Alton High School opened its doors in 1938, and operated until 1965. Due to the significant culture and historical value of the building, the name, Bel Alton High School, will remain on record with the Maryland Historic Trust. The county has placed signage outside the school to recognize this historic local site.